new complete installation on pi3

• hi,
    i'm a new member
    i don't speak German and reading this forum with google translate is not so easy :)
    i've just bought a new raspberry pi 3 and i'd like to substitute the doorbell in my building with something smarter
    in the building we are 10 peoples so what i'd like is:
    - one cam attached to the pi3
    - 10 buttons "wired" to the pi3
    - 1 ethernet cable wired to the pi3
    - 10 "smart devices" connected via wifi/3g as clients needed to watch cam/answer and view ringing people/open the door

the question is:
    - is it possible with doorpi ?
    - am i missing something?
    - other hardware needed?
    - how can i achieve this ?

thanks a lot!

• Welcome in the DoorPi Forum,

let me answer your questions:
    Question1: yes it is
    Question2: I think yes, you need a USB Soundcard, a mic, a speaker, mybe some relays für dooropener and light. look at the Piface Digitalio this PCB has 2 Relay and terminal screw blocks for Input and output.
    Question3: Maybe Piface Digitalio, Usb Soundcard, mic and a speaker.
    Question4: you can buy this from each reseller of your choice. lokk at this here in the forum: Parts

• thanks for answers
    i think to connect pi to ethernet cable to provide internet access

it there a "complete guide" that explains how to do this or i need to search around the forum?

thanks again

• For DoorPi installation use the link.
    For hardware installation : when you use the piface with your pi is the installation not so difficult. On piface you have 8 Inputs and 8 Outputs. Do you need more In or Output use two, or more, of them with a Rack. Otherwise you can use the GPIO Pins directly then you have much more In or Outputs but is a little bit more difficult.
    For configuration feel free to write your Question here in the Forum.

• well,
    my system is now up & running
    i'm thinking 2 possible scenarios:
    1) one raspberry pi with doorpi that "serves" all of the people living in the building (if it crashes is a big problem)
    2) one raspberry pi in each appartment connected with the actual intercom and "something" near the building door to broadcast video

let me know what you think about it

thx

• Why should it crash ?

1. Use all known measures to make the Raspberry Pi safe for 24x7 operation: Logfile rotation, /tmp into RAM etc.

2. Use a SmartHome solution to check the existence of DoorPi in regular intervals.

3. Use the internal hardware watchdog of the Raspberry Pi to reboot it when nothing has been heard of the DoorPi application for some time.

This here goes to the doorpin.ini

Code
    [EVENT_OnTimeSecondEvenNumber]
    10=statuswatchdog:/tmp/doorpi.watchdog

where it touches the file every 10 minutes

And this here goes to /etc/watchdog.conf once it is properly installed:

Code
    file                    = /tmp/doorpi.watchdog
    change                  = 700

where it will cause a reboot when no change has taken place for 11 minutes.

Regards

pah

• great!
    but, don't you think that the solution #2 is more scalable and maybe easy to setup?
    each appartment can choose to subscribe the new service or not...

in any case right now i'd like to try my fresh installation in a test environment
    i need a cam & usb sound card

any link to a site who sells both (do avoid double delivery cost) ;) ?

now i have no idea of the needed operations
    i can't find a manual who explains the event s i can trigger and the methods i can execute

thanks again

• well,
    after an afternoon studying i've done this:

and the system seems to be doing what i expect to, but in the log i see an error that i can't understand:

Code
    2016-04-30 20:58:15,453 [TRACE]  	[doorpi.conf.config_object] get_string for key 10 in section testsystem_InputPins (default: ) returns button1
    2016-04-30 20:58:15,455 [ERROR]  	[doorpi.action.base] error while creating SingleAction from config string: button1
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/doorpi/action/base.py", line 64, in from_string
        return importlib.import_module('doorpi.action.SingleActions.'+action_name).get(
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/importlib/__init__.py", line 37, in import_module
        __import__(name)
    ImportError: No module named button1
    2016-04-30 20:58:15,460 [ERROR]  	[doorpi.action.handler] action_object is None

what does it means: "No module named button1" ?
    what is the "module" it needs?

thanks

• I think you got something wrong there with the filesystem keyboard. Try the following:

Code
    [testsystem_InputPins]
    button1 = call:123456

How do you trigger the virtual button?

This here goes to the doorpin.ini

Code
    [EVENT_OnTimeSecondEvenNumber]

where it touches the file every 10 minutes

Are you sure about that? As far as I understood it, this event is triggered on every even second. That means, the file would be touched every two seconds. Or did I get that wrong?

• OK, looks like you're right - touch is more often. Thought I read 10 minutes.

WIll replace the 700 seconds by 60 then to give some time for startup. And we should mention to motom0001 that every 2 seconds might be some overkill. 15 secomds = min interval of hardware watchdog - would be optimal.

Regards

pah

• That can be easily avoided if the writing of the watchdog file is tied to another event. I just looked at the available time events (you can see them if you open the doorpi dashboard and then select Status->Event Handler, Tab "Aktive Quellen". There exists an event that is very suitable in my opinion: OnTimeMinuteEvery5. If it does what I think then the solution would be:

Code
    [EVENT_OnTimeMinuteEvery5]

Then the file should be touched every 5 minutes (didn't try it, but will do so soon). If an event every ten minutes is needed, it has to be added.

• hi everybody
    i'm waiting for cam & usb audio to be delivered
    meanwhile i'm still thinking at the best solution for me
    i've seen that my old analog intercom is a "standard 5 wires"
    - 1 for audio in
    - 1 for audio out
    - 1 for ringer
    - 1 for door lock
    - 1 for ground

what i'm thinking is:
    - i can connect ground & audio in to usb sound card
    - i can connect ground & audio out to usb sound card
    - i can connect ground & ringer to a relay connected to gpio
    - i can (just for testing purposes) omit connections to door lock (i think i need another realy to open the door)

this system surely doesn't have video (just audio) but will work?

in this way i can test it "alone" without having to change all of the building infrastructure

what do you think about it?

thanks